Apple announced its new file system called Apple File System(APFS) at WWDC2016. Lets see what are new features in APFS and why apple introduced this new file system.
Till now apple is using file HFS+(Hierarchal file system). The problem with this file system is, it designed almost three decades back and it designed basing on the existing drives(HDD's, FlopDisks) on that time. Though HFS+ supports latest SSD, Flash drives, it is not efficient enough. To support all these, Apple introduced new file system called Apple File System. Below are the some of the key features of APFS.
- To make single file system for all apple OS (macOS, iOS, watchOS and tvOS)
- To support and take advantage of SDD and Flash memory disks
- 64-bit support
- Encryption first
- Space sharing- if partition the disk, this file system will automatically adjusts the memory if one partition has no space
- Feel fast access by reducing the latency - as SSD and flash disks wont have any spinning needle to read/write unlike HDD's.
- Snap shot and clones - copying and moving files are quick
- Less OS Space
This file system will be available from iOS 10.3, macOS 10.12.4. When users upgrades to 10.3 it version, it will automatically converts file system from existing HFS+ to new Apple File system. Though this conversion will not effect your data, its advised to take the back up before upgrading iOS 10.3